Friday 3 May 2019

Meet the Interns - Emily

Oxford Brookes Poetry Centre is delighted to have a group of interns every year who assist with the Centre's events and projects and run projects of their own! Over the next few weeks we're introducing you to these invaluable members of our team, and our third introduction is to Emily Simms.



What are you studying at Oxford Brookes?

I'm in my second year of a BA in Publishing Media.



Why did you want to become an intern? What do you enjoy about it?


I really enjoy going to hear poets read aloud. Jay Bernard was a really interesting poet to see perform because they used multimedia to bring their poetry to life. I also like lots of cake: poetry events and cake go hand in hand!


Tell us about one of your favourite poems or collections? Why do you like them?

One of my favourite poets is Christina Rossetti and her classic poem 'Remember'. I discovered her in a battered Penguin Book and have loved her ever since. I also love T. S. Eliot and all of his poems that inspired the musical Cats, because who doesn't love a good cat poem?!


Finally, a recommendation: if you haven't read them already, Rupi Kaur's Milk and Honey and The Sun and her Flowers are great representations of contemporary, honest poetry, and the illustrations are something to marvel at too.

No comments:

Post a Comment